March 11, 2009

Garra Rufa (Flesh Eating Fish) Pedicure

Scott asked me a few days ago if I had heard of the new pedicure.  I told him "no" to which he responded, "Yeah, it's a new pedicure where flesh eating fish eat the dead skin off your feet."  After giving him the last laugh so many times before, I was going to be smarter.  I didn't even look up and said, "You're lying." He kept insisting that it is true so I finally googled it.  Ooooh my goodness.  He was right!

Garra Rufa is a new style of pedicure that is popular in Asia and now coming to the United States.  The person sticks their feet in a tub of about 100 little fish that suck the dead skin off their feet for up to 30 minutes.  Their pedicure then proceeds as normal. One person reported "It kisses your skin, but more it just sucks off your dry skin. It's all organic, I absolutely loved it. Your feet never felt so clean." The procedure is now also being done as full body treatments. I have to admit the idea is intriguing, but I would be a little nervous to get a hungry one who ate off my whole big toe! Garra Rufa has already been banned in Florida by the State Board of Cosmetology. Would you get a Garra Rufa pedicure? Answer on my poll.

14 comments:

Emily and Estevan said...

I do not think that I would enjoy that pedicure very much! The though of fish sucking on my feet does not sound relaxing (which a pedicure should be)!

OurFamily said...

I totally would! It's got to be safer than have them cut that stuff off ha ha.

ps - where have you been stranger? I haven't seen you in forever!

Torgersons said...

a) I hate fish b) I hate my feet being touched. Bad combo. YIKES to that pedicure!

Kari said...

That's freaky TIff! I'm not up for that kind of pedi, but I'd love to get a normal one anytime!

Brooks Family ♥ said...

oh my gosh! I just heard about them too! There is a place in Gilbert that does them...totally crazy!

Jamielyn said...

yikes! I could not do that pedicure, I would probably jump right out of my chair! My feet tickle so bad. But you know where we should go is that place by wildflower...the one where they massage your neck! Lets DO IT!

Rheannan said...

yes! I've heard about these pedicures! There are a couple places in scottsdale that do it.
how have you been?!

Alisa Larson said...

Heck no! That's so scary!

Emily Frandsen said...

hi! i'm so glad to have found your blog! this is emily, btw, scottie's cousin . . . and until i can actually meet you in person, i'm excited that i can stay updated on your lives via your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like one of the crazy things I think my Dad would do on his China trip. Don't quote me on that, though.

I'm so glad I found your blog!

Jamie said...

ive always wanted to try that! i say we have a cousin spa day and have fish eat our feet off

thebigcookiefam said...

ABSOLUTELY NOOOO! I have banned all pedicures since i got a foot fungus infection for 3 years, yep i said 3 years. It took 4 trips to the doctors and several antibiotic creams, to finally get rid of it. So no, I will be doing my own pedicures.

Laura Millett said...

I was just talking to my instructor about this- she said it's been around for a while and State Board has already banned it here- she caught a salon doing it the other day!

Maybe we should get a real pedi sometime instead... sorry we couldn't hang out the other day-I'll have a little more time after pageant is over- we will call you for sure!

Kayla Roussel said...

oh my gosh i got an email about this last year and thought it was the weirdest thing and that it was a joke then i looked it up and its sooo for real!!!