January 28, 2010

Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice. . . Beauty Remedies from Your Kitchen

Just a spoonful of sugar

Watch out for exfoliators and facial cleansers that include "pecan shells" in the ingredients.  These actually cause microfiber tears in the skin!  Carmindy, who is famous for her TLC show, What Not to Wear suggests using sugar to exfoliate.  It works wonders.  You can add a little to your traditional face wash, or just pour some in your hand, add a little water, and lather it on.  You will be amazed.
Baking soda:
My sister gave me a trim this week and told me that my hair felt "product-y" I couldn't agree more.  She told me to try baking soda, and I did.  Now my hair feels light and happy.  Just add a little baking soda, and twice as much shampoo.  Massage into scalp and leave on no longer than four minutes.  Rinse and condition as normal and abracadabra. . . product buildup disappears.
And of course, cucumbers!  Did you ever wonder why people place cucumbers over their eyes at fancy spas? Well, it's not just to look cool/silly.  According to Travel Lady Magazine, cucumbers are made up of 90% water and therefore have a hydrating effect on the skin under the eyes.  Furthermore, because they are colder than the skin, they reduce puffiness.  Good-bye tired eyes!

7 comments:

bryce and paige said...

I'm totally trying the sugar one, how wonderful to know!

{Emily Yeates} said...

Thanks for the great post! I want to be girly now haha.

Jamielyn said...

mmmm spa day, count me in! Remember the good ol' days when we would lay by the pool and drink smoothies all summer?! :)

Sally said...

cool! jason is going to be so confused to find sugar and baking soda in the bathroom now... he'll think i've gone crazy!

nate and amy crandell said...

awesome! I am in NEED of all of these haha-thanks!

Torgersons said...

So fun! I love these posts :)

Blossom Salon said...

and why am I teaching hygiene at Poston tomorro for Elo?